Saturday, December 22, 2007

Feliz Navidad, ya'll...

Alright, ya’ll. Christmas is officially upon us, and even though it might feel like a massive yuletide tractor trailer creeping up on your car on the middle of an empty highway, blinding you with its high beams and almost forcing you off the road, it surely is the most jolly of seasons and I’m actually (surprisingly) looking forward to it.

The Casa de La Reeva has been a-hustling and a-bustling for the past few days, preparing for the annual pilgrimage to wherever the holiday festivities are taking place. This year, the entire family is heading up to Washington, D.C. to visit Big Bro and Big Sis-in-Law. Every possible step to prevent a Griswald-esque family Christmas has been taken, but since it is my family, I’m sure there will be a holiday cornucopia of disaster to tell of once I get back to the Kackalack. The only way I can go forward without having a nervous breakdown is to remember that every hair-raising moment will be fodder for future funny stories on this journal… and that helps me sleep at night.

So far the elves have been busy. Li’l Sis and I braved our mall the other night to do most of our Christmas shopping for the family. It took a whole lot longer than it should have, mostly because we’re total dumbasses who can’t remember whether Mom likes Chanel No.5 or Chanel No.392398203975734, and then we strolled through Bed, Bath & Beyond for an embarrassingly long time without finding anything for Sis-in-Law. It sucks really hard when you spend hours shopping and come out with nothing to show for it. I hope Sis-in-law loves unwrapping gift certificates.

Today was Christmas baking day, and I tried my oven-mitted hands on our secret family recipe for the best damned sugar cookies anyone has ever tasted for the first time. They turned out well, if you don’t mind me saying. Then, we had Christmas No.1 by unwrapping all the presents under the tree so far, only because we needed most of the gifts for the big trip to D.C. I landed a stereo compatible with my new iPod and the first season of Lost on DVD. Then I spent some time pouring through iTunes since I had a gift card (Thanks Erin!) and got myself ready for hours of family angst by putting together several playlists to drown out any bickering and passive-aggressive sniping that may (will) take place over the next few days.

Since I won’t have internet access over the holidays, I wanted to take the time now to wish everyone who reads this blog a very Merry Christmas! It’s been a great year and I think next year is going to be ever better. I’ll be back before New Years, though, and I have some great posts planned/half-written/almost finished that I can’t wait to get up on here, including The Year in Music, and the Year of the Queen 2007 – as well as more Project Runway recaps.

Until then, Peace on Earth and Good Will Toward Men… and All That Jazz.

And if there was any question of whether or not I've been naughty this year, here's a naughty picture to get you in the holiday spirit...

No comments: