Monday, May 05, 2008

MVD 5-5-08 Robyn / Who's That Girl...

Since Madonna’s new album came out last week, I’ve been listening to it non-stop, which… predictable. But another amazing album dropped that very same day, and I would be remiss not to mention it.

Does anyone remember Robyn, of Show Me Love fame? Neither did I. That’s not quite true… I remember the song – it was the deal for about ten seconds in high school, but I didn’t connect it to the blonde, asymmetrical hair-stylings of the Robyn of whom I speak. A lot of the blogs I follow have been screaming at me about her, though. Starting on April 1, mentions of Robyn and her Swedish-Dance-Pop-Fabulousity have been interspersed with the Madonna hype, so I was almost (I said, almost) as excited to pick up Robyn’s new album as Madonna’s.

This song is why:



Hey, all you band dorks? 50 princess points if you can name the instrument Robyn bangs on during the interludes! I can’t help but feel like her outfit is a shout out to bank dorks everywhere. Do they have marching bands in Sweden? I’m not being silly, I really want to know. Are there Swedish Marching Bands?

God, that’s good stuff right there. For me, Robyn represents everything that is missing from America’s Dance-Pop scene. She’s sexy without being… you know, all about sex. She’s sassy and edgy without being completely unapproachable. She’s got a girl-power vibe, but she isn’t obnoxious about it. And the music isn’t bad, either.

I could be wrong, but unlike a lot of the “pop” coming out in the states, this music seems like it could be enjoyed by people besides girls under the age of 15 and gay guys. It’s pop for the people, ya’ll.

I’ve only listened to her album once since buying it, you know… because of Madonna, but I will say that it’s incredible and I can’t wait to bond with it further. When that will be totally depends on Madonna, so… who knows, right?

4 comments:

Erin G said...

I want the princess points but I can never remember the difference in a tom tom and a ding dong and a quints set. Points cause you love me?

Ryan D. said...

Fine, you get the points. But this is some serious favoritism, just so you know.

I won't give away the answer just yet in case anyone else wants to try it.

PS. What do you think of the new banner?

Erin G said...

love. I heart marc.

Anonymous said...

Great song. Robyn has some seriously fabulous eyebrows. Can't name the instrument because I wasn't a band dork. My daughter probably could though because she is definitely a band geek, as she likes to call herself.