Monday, July 21, 2008

Knitty McKnitsalot, here with an update…

Sadly, my compulsion to knit has waned over the past few months. On the one hand, I’m saving a truckload of cash (yarn is expensive, ya’ll), but on the other… my yarn stash takes up more space than all of my clothes, which is a problem. Li’l Sis is my greatest patron, however, and right after I finished her monogrammed scarf/wrap/stole for her birthday, she commissioned another scarf for her trip to London in the fall. I started it in March (I think), and I’m pleased to announce… it is complete.




And now for a close-up…



It’s a basic cable pattern… nothing too fancy. I added a gartered selvage in the hopes that it would prevent the reverse stockinette background from curling up on itself, but… it didn’t work. The only reason it is lying flat in the picture is I’ve bolted it down with two copies of Harry Potter. Luckily, Li’l Sis doesn’t mind the curling, because when she wraps it around her neck, the rope-like quality keeps it tight and compact and warm, which will be all to the point on those freezing London nights.

I’m especially glad that I finished it and that she likes it, because I looks like I won’t be joining her in London for a visit after all (sad face). It’s good to know she has a piece of something suffocating her to remind her of home.

Next up on the knitting agenda…

I realized as I was rifling through my knitting patterns that I’ve knitting almost nothing for myself. Not even a scarf. So I’ve landed on some vest patterns that I think I can manage. I don’t know if I’ve told anyone, but I’ve grown rather partial to the sweater vest, even though they make me look like a substitute chemistry teacher. If I do it right, I look dashing and chic, but without calling to mind a waiter at a 4 star restaurant. My plan is to master the pattern and then create one-of-a-kind creations with unique embellishments. I’m thinking strategically placed argyle…in bright, gay colors… hmmmm…

Also, I absolutely MUST pick a blanket pattern for nephew/niece, who is due next month. I have no delusions of finishing it on time… Baby will have to settle for getting it at Christmas. I really don’t think he/she will care, as long as it’s FABULOUS!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely scarf, Reeva. It inspires me to try cables sometime. Unfortunately, it won't be until the weather gets cold. It's too nice out to knit.

Erin G said...

me likey. :)

Ryan D. said...

That's so funny, mary... because here... it's too hot to do anything but stay inside and knit. Let me know how your cabling goes...

Erin - glad you likey!